Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strange Hours

Well, its 12:30am in Cat Ba town and you know what that means? Nothing. Vietnam is early to rise and early to bed. But I can't blame them, I'm back in The Noble House for one night and as far as I've seen the girls that work here do so all day every day. I had a beer with Dominic, a Swiss climber I met yesterday, and had to knock on the hotel to get back inside. The town is quite now and I'm off to bed soon, but I wanted to take advantage of the wifi[which I probably won't have for a bit] and catch up on what the last post is missing. Yesterday was a beach day, all beach all day pretty much. I met Dominic who had come to Cat Ba with a tour group called Backpackers, but he was staying for the rocks. We did some bouldering on the beach and took in some surf and sun. Some local youths joined us on the rocks and showed off there arm wrestling skills. Turns out, Dominic is a friend of Cheung's so today Cheung and Audhild joined us back at Butterfly Valley for some climbing. I did lead climbing for the first time[that's where there's no rope supporting you until you clip it in] thanks to the support and teaching of the others. I lead three routes, a 5b[5.9] and two 6a's[5.10a]. The first was the hardest for me, even though it was one that I had done fairly easily a couple days prior, but its a different story when you have to rely on yourself for safety. But by the second I had the confidence I needed and even though it was a harder 'problem' I felt much more at ease doing it.
Tomorrow morning: another hotel change, some more climbing at Butterfly Valley and then the next day we're taking a boat for some deep water soloing[see picture from the last post where I'm climbing over water].
I leave here on Wednesday and should be in Ho Chi Minh City later that evening. But...I don't have a flight yet, have people working on that. And I don't have a house yet, working on that, too. I'll probably do a hotel for the first night or two, maybe use Couchsurfing, I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment