Thursday, June 18, 2009

Illin'

It was bound to happen eventually. I'm sick. Don't worry, I haven't caught anything exotic or serious. I merely got caught out in the rain and didn't dry off properly. At the very least, it could have happened at a worst time. It's a weekday, school doesn't start until Monday and yesterday I bought bedding and a tea set at Ben Than Market. So I'm pretty good to chill at home and lay low. I've stepped out once today for some Pho and that was it. I do have to make at least two more trips today though, one over to the supermarket for more supplies and another probably for dinner, if I have an appetite.
Yesterday I completely moved into my apartment, not that I had a lot of stuff to move, and went on a shopping trip[I don't like the word spree and I won't use it]. I was determined to avoid the large supermarket which I figured would be more expensive, and decided instead to venture between hole-in-the-wall shops in my neighborhood. This became utterly useless, like a bad scavenger hunt, and I had too much of a headache from being sick for all the fuss. While turning the corner in one secluded alley, I heard several beckoning calls from a table of men having lunch. Usually, when someone call out on the street I just ignore it, unless I need a ride on a motorbike because that's what it usually means. This time I didn't, my free beer sense was tingling.
[Mot, Hai, Ba, Yoooo!]

I joined the table of men, only one of whom could speak English[barely] and was made to drink at least three beers with them before I was allowed to leave. The lot of them were already quite drunk[it wasn't even 1pm], the ground below the table was littered with Saigon beer bottles. The table was covered with all sorts of yummy looking foods. They were insistent that I help myself, going so far as to literally shove the food in my face, and I would've been tempted, too, had I not already eaten.
By the time I left them I had a good buzz going and my headache was gone, but I was no longer in any mood to go on with my scavenger hunt. I went back to my hotel and grabbed my moto and an empty bookbag[not having a proper trunk really limits your shopping capabilities] and headed for the supermarket. It's a good thing too, as I found that, at least for household stuff, this was probably the cheapest I could get. I got hangers, towels, bedding, and a couple pillows, which I had to strap to the outside of my bag. After dropping everything off I made it to Ben Thanh Market just in time to buy my tea set[230,000VND~$13] before they closed and zoomed back to the supermarket get an electric kettle that I couldn't fit last time.
I've gotten much better at driving here. As I told a friend earlier today, if you've every played a driver based video game you're ready to drive in Saigon. The same principles apply, you drive in the direction you want to go and every time you hit something you lose points.
Anyways, as promised here are pictures of my new place:


[Living Room. The light up top changes color]


[Kitchen]


[Bedroom. Pardon the mess]


[View outside my window]

1 comment:

  1. Выглядет совсем неплохо - чистенько так. Ты правильно сделал, что сейчас сфотографировал - я представляю, во что ты превратишь эту кухню через неделю-две.

    ReplyDelete