Thursday, June 30, 2011

Got My Visa

-First visit to the Chinese Consulate, closed.  Guard points at the hours of operation: 8:30-11:30, 2:00-5:00.  Noted.

-Second visit, 4:00, closed!  A closer look at the sign shows that only the general offices are open at that time, the visa office is only open 8:30-11:00.  Sigh.


-Third visit, open!  Receive the application, read the rules (bring copy of passport, a photo, visa/residency card and $30, unless you are a US citizen, then it's $140), leave less than a minute later and pay 5,000VND for parking.

-Fourth visit.  Application: filled.  Photo:Attached.  Passport/residency card:Present and copied.  "Can I have my visa now?" "NO." Clerk pulls out a list of unlisted rules.  I need a copy of my work permit or work contract(which expired today) or my flight itinerary with hotel booking.  Ah, but the flight itinerary is only good if I'm flying directly from HCMC to mainland China.  I'm flying from Singapore.  Leave and pay 5,000VND for parking.

-Fifth visit.  Accepted! Fortunately my work permit doesn't expire until next August, even though my contract is over.  Leave in less than a minute and pay 5,000VND for parking.

-Sixth visit.  (Three days later) Pay $140.  Get visa.  Leave in less than a minute and pay 5,000VND for parking.

Ladies and gentlemen, Daphne and I are bound for Yunnan, the south-western most Provence in China,  with a four day stopover in Singapore.  My second contract with ILA is finished and I will be teaching my last class this evening.  How long will we be gone?  One month.


Because keeping a blog up to date in that time will be difficult, I wanted to try out Twitter for a change to make short posts.  However, after looking at a list of banned sites I see that not only will twitter and facebook be banned but also possibly my blog.  So I may be in the dark until August, hopefully with some good stories and pictures to show for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment