Monday, June 13, 2011

Food and Film

Long time no post!
My apologies. I have been very busy the past couple months.  Between my internship and teaching, I only have one day off a week.

Last month I celebrated my birthday with Daphne and a bunch of friends by taking the Sunday off and going to Legend Hotel for an international buffet with free flow and an afternoon by the pool.  That began a string of many gluttonous evenings for which I have a couple extra kilos to show for it.  I spent the last couple of weeks traveling the world with a fork and chopsticks.  Sushi night, free burritos, sneak-attack Thai food, burger at Hard Rock, overcooked falafel at Pasha and the always amazing Latitudinal Cuisine at Antonia's house.

The last culinary theme for LatCuisine was Russia and Papau New Guinea.  My favourite part of Russian cuisine is the baked food.  I wanted to make my grandmother's midovi honey cake, but I didn't have enough prep time.  Poppy seed croissants were also out of the question due to a lack of resources.  So I called up my mom and got a recipe for a really good russian apple pie.  Antonia loaned me her kitchen, as mine lacked an oven.  The cooking didn't go smoothly but the results were delicious and well received(thankfully).

Antonia is a film making enthusiast and turned her living room into a film set.  I also brought my camera to assist, but the quality and style were so different that we had to make two different videos!  Very different, check it out:

Antonia uses a small but high quality camera and shot in widescreen.  She used a tripod and edited using music created from the sounds of the actual party. She had to edit down from 1.5 hours of footage.


My video is shot on an old 2 megapixel miniDV Canon.  The quality is much lower and it was shot in 4:3 ratio.  I edited the video using "borrowed" music.  I only had 25 minutes to edit from.


This Friday, if you're in Saigon, come to Soham Yoga Studio and Boutique where I will be leading my first tea tasting workshop!  It will be paired with a yoga class before and is followed by a half hour meditation session.  I'm only leading the tea part of course.

Changes coming soon...my ILA contract ends this month.  Daphne and I will be doing some traveling in July, after which I will have no job. Woops!  But don't worry, I'll find some work to last until the end of the year when we might plan on moving...somewhere else...

No comments:

Post a Comment