Monday, May 4, 2009

First

I'll try to make this first post short. Its 2am, and instead of working on one of my higher priorities [like finishing the 1040X, studying Vietnamese, or editing] I've been b.s.ing the past few hours online and decided to top it off with starting this blog I'd been meaning to. So I guess, this is the most productive I'll get.
This will be my first blog, I'll admit I'm skeptical if I can keep it up. My ambition is that I can keep it updated daily[once in 'nam] and treat it as a journal. This will not be easy for me as even my past attempts at keeping a journal have been met with inconsistency. Maybe going public will help, my angry 'fans' can guilt me if I go too long without posting.

I'm doing this for a couple of reasons. When people ask me generic greeting questions like, 'how are things?' or 'what's new?' most of the stories worth telling don't surface in time to share. I don't know if this is a common experience, but my mind doesn't cluster the events of my life into these vague categories. So, with me going to Vietnam to teach English for a year or more, I wanted to be able to offer more than just saying, 'things are good' over the phone[my least favorite form communication]. With a blog I can take everybody with me, in a way, and it will make the questions more specific[e.g.'what's the deal with that landlord you wrote about?'].
Also, keeping a daily blog will be good writing practice. Something I'll need in a my post-graduate life if I want my skills[what little] to remain sharp.
So there, not as short as I'd hoped and yet so much more to say. Let's just leave it for another day.

Next time: where, why, when, what...the basics. Probably should get into those :)

No comments:

Post a Comment