Saturday, July 4, 2009

It's not Fish, it's Banana

Weekend's here! And I'm trapped inside by the rain. Out the window I see the cityscape disappear in front of me as the rain falls harder and harder. In a couple hours I'm going to the opening for Natasha's school, a 35 minute minimum drive by bike[assuming I don't get lost] but if the rains keep up it could mean flooding in some parts.
Its good to have a day of rest after a rough week of 12-hour days, lesson plans and four hours-a-night of sleep. Not to mention other distractions. Thursday I missed lunch so that I could pick up my tailored shirts. Amazing work, and only 300,000 VND[18USD] a pop. But I got lost on a roundabout when driving back to the school. I circled it a couple times until I couldn't even recognize the direction I had come from. By the time I was back on track I was starving, had five minutes to get back to school, and it would be another four to five hours before I'd have a chance to eat. At a red light[which isn't always a requirement for stopping] an old woman had some fried food that looked kind of like fish. Turned out to be banana, but it was better than nothing.
Back at school, I've been learning far more about the English language in two week than I ever did in my entire schooling in the States. We have three tutors, Rob[young Brit and amazing teacher], Benita[old Brit, wrote a Grammar book, has traveled the world several times teaching English], and Joanna[Polish]. The class is more diverse than I was expecting, especially since I was worried I wouldn't get in for having a Russian name. But there's a Vietnamese girl from Cali, an Indian girl from...I forget, a Korean, and another girl from Singapore, Daphne, making up part of the fifteen student class, and ages ranging from 21 to 70. We did have sixteen in our class but Phil, a Hawaiian ex-journalists, showed up two days late, brought us laughter, and then disappeared without notice. It would take too long to explain what kind of character he is, but if you've ever seen the cartoon Home Movies just think Coach McGuirk and you'd have a good idea of what I'm talking about.
To celebrate the weekend several of us went to a really neat restaurant that was four stories high, open-window and stuffed with patrons. The beer there was only 12,000VND[.66USD] and the food was cheap, with a menu that included deer, rabbit and turtle alongside the usual beef and seafood options. We finished off the night with more drinks in the 'white people area', as my roommate likes to call it, in a cute little bar called TamTam where Rob[Welsh, upper 20's, very straight laced during the week and a riot on the weekends] proceeded to get us smashed with a drinking game that was very much like The Postmodern Game we used to play in college.
But distractions aside, Sunday's going to be rough. I have to revise my first assignment, finish the second one, and lesson plan for Tuesday. Wouldn't be so bad, but something tells I'm not going to make it out of bed until noon.

[Side note, in the time it took me to write this, the rain has completely stopped. If you don't like the weather in Saigon, wait five minutes]

No comments:

Post a Comment